Isle Royale is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. – Zia, PIFMI 2009
Parks in Focus celebrated its fifth year in Michigan by leading 9 program alumni from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 trips on a photographic adventure through one of the country’s most pristine national parks: Isle Royale. Mosquitoes, rain and leaky tents couldn’t dim the teenage participants’ enthusiasm for hiking, climbing, and canoeing to the breathtaking vistas as they honed their camera skills, explored the natural and cultural sites of the island, and created bonds with their leaders and each other that will last a life-time.
- Canoeing and sunset photography in Tobin Harbor.
- Searching for greenstones on the beach near the Rock Harbor Lighthouse.
- Hiking to Lookout Louise and searching for moose scat and tracks.
- Visiting the headquarters of the Isle Royale wolf–moose study.
- Exploring Suzy’s Cave.
- Interacting with Isle Royale’s park rangers, researchers, volunteers and fellow visitors.
- Hosting a public photo slideshow at the Rock Harbor Auditorium.