In early June, Parks in Focus® hosted two five-day camping trips to northern Arizona with 24 middle school youth from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson. The participants selected to attend these trips were among the most engaged youth from our school-year programming in Tucson.
Participants reviewed photography concepts and learned new tips and techniques as they explored the natural and cultural history of their National Parks and other public lands.
Highlights from the trips included
- Ranger-led hikes at Sunset Crater Volcano, Walnut Canyon and Wupatki National Monuments;
- Observing Venus, Jupiter and Saturn at the Lowell Observatory;
- Learning new photography tips and techniques from Adam Schallau Photography;
- Exploring Lockett Meadow and Marshall Lake within Coconino National Forest; and
- Cooling off at Crescent Moon Recreation Area and Slide Rock State Park.
These trips were made possible in part by generous support from the Western National Parks Association. We would also like to thank Adam Schallau Photography for spending time with our participants during each of these trips.