Parks in Focus® is a program of the Udall Foundation that provides opportunities for middle school youth to explore and learn about nature through photography, environmental education, outdoor recreation, and creative expression.
The Udall Foundation is seeking an enthusiastic, organized and highly-motivated individual to lead Parks in Focus® activities with groups of Tucson youth. Trip leader will organize and lead Parks in Focus® classroom visits, field trips, and weekend camping trips for groups of youth from the Boys & Girls Clubs, Big Brothers Big Sisters and other local youth-serving organizations.
Trip leader will receive training, be provided with program curriculum and resources, and work closely with staff from the Udall Foundation, our partner youth organizations, and volunteers.
Hours will vary each week depending on the activities planned (average of 20-25 hours/week). Position will begin in early January 2017 (possibly sooner if available) and continue through mid-May. Opportunity to continue position through August 2017 and beyond (if performance is satisfactory).
PARKS IN FOCUS® DUTIES
Training & Program Preparation
• Attend a multi-day training program in Tucson.
• Become familiar with Parks in Focus® mission, goals, curriculum, and resources.
• Visit activity sites for scouting and risk management planning.
• Shadow Parks in Focus® program manager during several local outings.
• Host info meetings for participants, parents and partners.
• Finalize activity itineraries and handle all logistics (e.g., food purchasing).
• Lead assigned Parks in Focus® activities and field trips.
• Ensure activities run smoothly and safely.
• Teach photography curriculum and meet educational goals for each activity.
• Work with participants to develop their photography skills.
• Lead games, songs, journaling, and other activities with participants.
• Help energize and motivate participants, staff and volunteers.
• Ensure activities are well documented through photo and video.
• Ensure all participant forms and evaluation data are gathered.
• Provide scheduled updates and reports to the program manager in Tucson.
• Organize all photographs, video footage, and evaluation data.
• Prepare photo highlights for all participants, staff, and partners.
• Write and submit a brief final evaluation.
• Love of the outdoors and ability to spark that love in others.
• Experience working with middle school youth in outdoor and overnight settings.
• Experienced and comfortable with camping, hiking, and being outdoors.
• Ability to assess and manage risks associated with outdoor activities.
• Interest in photography and willingness to learn and teach basic curriculum.
• Positive, upbeat attitude, and ability to adapt to changing demands.
• Strong writing, communication, teaching, leadership, and teamwork skills.
• Knowledge of Tucson parks and natural areas highly desired.
• Valid driver’s license, clean-driving record, and access to reliable transportation.
• Must have current First Aid and CPR certifications prior to start date.
• Wilderness First Aid certification highly desired.
• Lives in or near Tucson (housing is not provided).
• Must be available evenings and weekends.
• Must be a U.S. citizen.
• Must be willing to provide fingerprints for a criminal background check.
PAY & PERKS
• $12/hour (average 20-25 hours per week from January through May)
• Mileage reimbursement for personal vehicle use for pre-approved travel
• Food, campsites, and rental vehicle provided for scheduled overnight activities
• Desk and office space at the Udall Foundation
• DSLR digital camera to use for duration of internship
• College credit (if applicable)
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant qualifications, a current resume, and contact information for two professional references via e-mail to:
Bret Muter, Parks in Focus® Program Manager
Udall Foundation • 130 S. Scott Ave., Tucson AZ 85701
Please note: Your cover letter must include the following statement: “I certify, upon penalty of perjury, that I have never been arrested for or charged with a crime involving a child, or that the explanation attached to this agreement, which includes a description of the disposition of the arrest or charge, is true and complete.”
DEADLINE TO APPLY
5 p.m. (MST) on November 30, 2016